Anyhow - following my own rules, I made this costume entirely out of fabric I already had. (Notions are new - but realistically, I can hoard them in a much smaller space, so it works out.)
|didn't notice how squished the straps got.... hello interfacing. you and I will become friends.|
The corset/bodice/stays/pair-of-bodies/whatever-your-favorite-term is my own pattern and not at all historically accurate. I just wanted something reasonably comfy that would be fun to wear and look the part.
It is constructed of three layers - brocade, denim and gaberdine, with channels sewn through all three layers and stiffened with poly boning. As such, everything is quite firm - and as the pattern was traced off my body - pretty darn comfy for something of this sort. My only complaint is that is is slightly too large and provides insufficient bust support. I plan to take the front panel in an inch or so on each side, which will let me loosen up the laces all the way around. (This is really just an aesthetics thing - all though the 7 sets of lacing is to allow me to adjust the fit as needed should my body change shape.) (I want this one to last.)
The skirt is a regular half-circle skirt. Not really wide enough for the era - but not out of place in this one either. I used my own half-circle skirt tutorial, cause I'm kind of a bum like that and didn't remember the equations.
Post a Comment
I love to hear from people :)