Monday, January 28, 2013

Dwarf Helmet Dos






Ever since I made it, Kel has been overwhelmed by the utter glory of my beardhat.  (roughly translated: kept stealing it and stroking his chin)  


When we were looking at all the others the internet had to offer, he kept commenting on the horns and the braided beards (I know the yarn is nuts, but there are 9 braids on the top layer of that beard) so when I (most secretly) made his this past week, I added it all in.









The techniques for the hat and beard were basically the same - lots of popcorn rivets, a crocheted base and individually tied 'hairs'.  The interesting addition this time around was the horns - I started off with a couple of rings of single crochet attache directly to the helmet - then I moved to the horn colored yarn.  I started with a single round of single crochet, and then moved into shaping.  The top side was single crochet (and half and sort of pull through - I don't know the technical names for a lot of these and seem to be too much of a bum to look it up properly) moving to double on the sides and treble on the bottom.  This let the horn curve up -- the I did a round of equal (I think single) stitches, followed by doing the exact same thing, but curving the other way, reducing the whole time as I went.  Then I switched back to the 'metal' color, as what self-respecting helmeted-dwarf doesn't tip his horns in metal?  (What about the ladies?   I'm invoking Terry Pratchett on this one - All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional.    --   There was no such thing as a dwarfish female pronoun or, once the children were on solids, any such thing as women's work.) (What?  Trust me,  go read Terry Pratchett.  Go.  Now.   Scoot.  I'll wait.)


half a horn!
beard base














right before all the 'hair' got tied on....  Note the snazzy mouth hole, enabling quaffing!








Needless to say, I got jealous, and am now part-way through adding my own set of horns.



10 comments:

  1. LOVE. This is just magnificent!!! And YAY Terry Pratchett! He is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would I have to do to get the pattern for your horns lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd have to teach me to write crochet patterns. The best description I can manage is in the post, but if you have more specific questions, I'll take a swing at them. With this sort of thing, I tend to just muck around until it looks right.

      Delete
    2. can.....can i commission you to make one with down curved ram horns and a black beard with gray in it like kel's but tit a thick brade on the side and down the middle, id be happy to pay for shipping and everything even materials for it

      sorry for trying to buy your work but this is amazing and id love to wear it in winter and for the next hobbit movie

      Delete
    3. I don't typically take commissions, but you've caught me in an odd mood. considering the amount of time it takes to make one of these, the base price for labor would be $350, plus materials and shipping (materials run ~$30, depending on what you want, shipping, really depends where you are) If you are still interested, reply to this comment - I won't publish your contact information and we can go from there.

      Delete
  3. That braided beard is majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This is so freaking awesome. So glad I found the picture on pinterest. I am going to try and copy your horns from your description. You are really talented.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...