This was supposed to be Halloween costume day, but my enthusiasm for the project has been dwindling for a while now (I think I chose the wrong concept – it was hilarious for a little while, but no longer thrills me. I was going to be corny – an ear of corn! (I love visual puns) so odds are good I will recycle one of my older ones – there are standards to maintain.) Then a few days ago, my mojo was sapped completely when my doctor decided I needed a CT to check for ‘masses’ in my head, had a funny look on her face and wouldn’t elaborate. Anyhow, after a little less than 48 hours of controlled terror (personally, I was thinking holy crap, brain tumors) they found lots and lots of mucus. I am officially a really snotty person. (After having spent my life cursing mucus, I was never so happy to have so much) Anyhow, its left me feeling a little less than whimsical, and as the weather has dropped, I got to work on my coat. The hilarious thing (to me) is that the stage two muslin actually looks better than the stage three – now, having seen it in person, I happen to know a lot of that is due to off grain fabric and wiggly basting, but it is irritating. After getting it to lay just about perfectly smooth post stage-two, I added and hood and the sleeve, and BAM! The whole thing is being pulled diagonally up – but I have a plan. (also -- it will be knee length, but for fitting, I only bothered to the hips)
Random fitting remarks: If you look at the stage-two back, you will see diagonal lines going up my back. It turns out I have a rounded back (I can’t think of any good hunchback jokes) and inserting a triangles, fat side to my back and pointy side to my armpit did the trick. The rest of the piece had to be reshaped a little, but it wasn’t a major undertaking.
I also tried to move the narrowest point on the back a little lower to reflect the actual shape of my body, however, that seems to have been lost in some other sizing modifications I made.
Also, as one should always fit a garment wearing the appropriate undergarments, I’ve been doing this while wearing one of my polar fleece jackets – I tried using the dummy, but it turns out a week on a hanger and then a week on the floor without adequate layers of tape has left it forever malformed and misshapen, so fitting continues to be a slow and painful.