A bit unseasonable, perhaps, but it will allow me to work at my leisure.... Anyhow, if you've been around these parts for a while now, you may recall my first (aborted) foray into the wild and wonderful world of winter coats. I think the thinsulate did me in -- despite being assured that once it was encased in the coat I would be able to dry clean it safely, I was so worried I'd end up destroying all my work that it sapped my will to continue. It was also so very puffy and a pain and a half to fit.... It will end up in a quilted vest this year, but my interlining of choice has switched over to several layers of flannel. I've also changed the hood and arm zipper concept a bit -- I saw one with a built in scarf I though was interesting so I've included that, and the arm zippers have migrated to the backs.
I spent some time yesterday evening figuring out all the measurements - I want to be able to wear a bun without this thing pulling off my head and there needs to be enough space for my hair to not try and strangle me if its hanging loose. (hair can be troublesome in the winter)
Rather than all the refitting I did last year, this time I took the pattern pieces from my fleece jacket and just added a new seam allowance and allowed the one I'd built in to the pattern be the ease for the coat. (I originally chose one inch, which proved to be laughably enormous. 5/8" was quite sufficient.)
I've got the first muslin half finished -- its coming together nicely, except the inevitable problems of practicality vs. vanity. I need a coat I can layer with - I need to be able to move my arms and twist and bend. However, I also want to look sleek and not like a giant snow beast... So I am compromising here and there, but stomping on my vanity as best I can, as I know practicality needs to win out on this one.