VPLL Check List:
Pattern: E0336 Princess Slip
Sewer's Skill Level: Experienced
Pattern Rating: 5-Loved it!
I love the fit - I plan to make it again in wool and with sleeves to wear to work, although I imagine I'll skip the lace for that one. I found the pattern to be very easy to modify to make whatever I wanted and to be a good base for creativity.
What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern?
I'd say a without the lace, probably a beginner - princess seams are pretty easy to work with and one of the simpler things to fit. With the lace, at least intermediate. It's a little tricky getting it all set properly and it takes a lot of patience. I feel it lively a beginner would become frustrated.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don't know -- I didn't even look at them. I'd read though a couple of blog posts others had done on this project and found out how to do insertion lace before I'd even decided to do the slip myself. After that the whole project was so straightforward I just went with it. (In all honesty, I rarely bother with the directions no matter what pattern I'm working with.)
How was fit and sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought?
I found that the circumferences at the bust, waist and hips matched mine exactly, so I was really excited and made up a muslin without any alterations -- then I realized that it was designed for a woman about 6 inches shorter than I am, so everything had to be spread out a bit. I also had to do a bit of a full bust adjustment. I ended up taking material out above the bust, in the shoulders and a bit below. I did a whole post on fitting, which I linked to below. Other than that, which was an easy fix, I thought it was great.
Did you make any pattern alterations?
It doesn't look quite like the original -- I removed a lot of the lace around the neckline and all the pleats at the hem as it was just a bit more fuss than I really like in my clothing. I also skipped the button placket in the back as I plan to actually use this as a night gown and having to get buttoned up just isn't a practical option. I also decided that right above the knee was a better length on me and for general summer nightgown use.
The fit alterations have to do with lengthening the pattern to suit my body. See the link below on fitting the pattern, I did a whole post on the subject.
I still think the neckline is gaping a bit - the more I look at the pictures I took of myself, the more I think I needed to make a stronger FBA up there.
As I mentioned earlier, I really love this pattern- I think the lines are very flattering and I intend to make it again in several colors and fabrics. For this particular version I used sheer cotton and a somewhat chunky cotton lace.
Previous posts about this project:
Finding it - Fitting - Insertion Lace
(and for anyone counting, this is item 3/15 for the great stashbustin' fabric fast)