And, done! It ended up being just barely long enough (I like my skirts right below my knees) so between length and my issues with finishing the edges of knits (i.e. I am clueless) I decided to try something that couldn't stretch -- bias tape! When I picked it out in the store the color seemed like a close match -- as we can see, this is most definitely not the case, but, as with many random happenings, I liked it, so I decided to let it go. If it bugs me, I'll just dye the whole thing a darker blue.
(the neckline STILL stretched a little anyway -- basically, I need to stop screwing around and actually read up on knits)
random fact of the moment: The hem of my skirt is nearly 6 yards around. (tape = handy measurement tool)