Third time is the charm and whatnot.....
So, yeah, I really didn't like working with the rubberized codura. it stuck to everything (I think a Teflon foot would have helped, but I need more space from that particular project) Anyhow - I still really wanted a winter coat with arm zips so I could fuss with braces and gloves and I had several yards of mystery woven* (burn tests indicate wool) and a few days after visiting family blissfully free of anything at all. I decided to ditch the bi-swing back, pit zips and thinsulate for the moment as it was just getting to be a bit much. I still wanted free movement for my arms, so I went with a back gusset instead.
This coat is actually the ultimate frankenpattern. (refer to the chart below) I used the coat block I'd created out of the Tracy Reece (V1086) dress pattern (lace shirt to brocade jacket to tentacle sleeve jacket) the sleeves from Badgley Mishka (V1040) which became all my polar fleece jackets, my own version of the hood Lisa of Small Things came up with, and a couple of other changes for good measure (bust darts, sleeve zips, planned front double welt zipped pockets...)
Taking the pictures was the first time I'd actually worn it outside -- turns out its quite toasty and warm. the interlining is cotton flannel which I basted onto all the pieces before putting it together. The bodice and hood have a double layer for extra warmth. (All the wiggly blue bits are hand-stitching -- days and days that took)
I still need to do the lining, closures, pockets and other bits of fancy I have planned, but I think its coming together really well. Around here January / February tend to be the coldest, so happy thoughts of it getting done soon.